CARES Act: protect students & staff
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act is an economic relief package spurred by the public health and economic impacts of COVID-19. In the simplest of terms, the CARES Act provides funding for education and government entities to spend on COVID-related activities.
That’s where we come into play. Veritiv understands the CARES Act and helps you figure out the ways to use its funding. As a facility solutions provider to K-12 schools, colleges and universities, we work to protect your staff and students with our offering of cleaning, hygiene and PPE supplies.
Here is an overview of the two subsets of the CARES Act:
K-12 educational facilities can use funds from the CARES Act’s ESSER Fund for their immediate needs, such as tools and resources for distance education, ensuring student health and safety, and developing and implementing plans for the next school year.
The U.S. Department of Education states that ESSER funds can be used for several instances, including:
- Purchasing supplies to sanitize and clean the facilities of a local educational agency, including buildings operated by such agency.
- Training and professional development for staff of the local educational agency on sanitation and minimizing the spread of infectious diseases.
- Providing principals and other school leaders with the resources necessary to address the needs of their individual schools.
- Developing and implementing procedures and systems to improve the preparedness and response efforts of local educational agencies.
Another subset of the CARES Act is the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Fund (GEER Fund), which awards grants to governors to provide their local educational agencies (LEAs) and institutions of higher education with COVID-19-related emergency assistance.
Approximately $3 billion of the $30.75 billion allotted to the Education Stabilization Fund through the CARES Act is earmarked for the GEER Fund.
ESSER and GEER Fund resources
LEAs can find various resources online, including from their local state government, that outline their opportunities to apply for and receive funding from the ESSER Fund and GEER Fund.
Online resources include:
- ESSER Fund FAQ – Answers key questions, such as who applies for ESSER formula funds and how school districts and other educational entities can access ESSER formula funds.
- ESSER state allocations – Estimates how much money each state should receive.
- GEER Fund FAQ – Answers questions that may not be easily understood from the lengthier CARES Act documentation or the fund’s more detailed information.
- GEER state allocations – Estimates how much money each state should receive.
Veritiv Facility Solutions for Education and Government
Veritiv’s facility experts build programs consisting of cleaning, hygiene and PPE supplies that help staff, students and educational facilities stay safe and healthy. We also offer procurement solutions for school districts, government entities, cities and counties, helping them save time, improve quality and achieve cost savings with our procurement programs.
¿Tiene preguntas? Connect with a facility expert to learn more.